1890 Kelly’s Directory

Kelly’s Directory of Bedfordshire, 1890, says:




EVERSHOLT is a parish situated 2 miles east from Woburn, on the borders of the park, about 4 south from Ridgmount station on the Bedford and Bletchley branch of the North Western railway and 14 south-west from Bedford, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Manshead, petty sessional division and union of Woburn, county court district of Ampthill, rural deanery of Fleete, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely. The parish consists of several clusters of houses called “Ends.” The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of stone in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles and a western embattled tower containing 6 bells: the north aisle projects one bay beyond the nave, and opens into the chancel by a Decorated arch, on one side of which is a piscina: there is another in the south aisle and a third in the chancel: it underwent a complete restoration in 1864, under the direction of the late Sir G. G. Scott R.A. at a cost of about £3,000: there are monuments to the Hon. Prances Ongley, eldest daughter of Samuel Henley, first Baron Ongley, of Old Warden (ext. 1877); Mrs. Elizabeth Hyde, sister of the Bishop of St. David’s, and Mrs. Sarah Hodgkinson : there is a representation of a boar’s head carved in stone in the wall of the vestry, the name Eversholt signifying “the hold of the wild boar:” the church will seat 300 persons. The register dates from the year 1628. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £480, gross yearly value £600, including 65 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Bedford K.G. and held since 1861 by the Rev. William Samuel Baker M.A. of Clare College, Cambridge. There is a charity estate of 110 acres, known as the Eversholt Parochial Charity, administered by trustees, which produces £245 14s. yearly, applied to the church, to the poor and to the schools, the latter receiving one-third of the total income. There is a reading room managed by a committee of 10 members, the rector being president; also a library at the school for the use of the parish, consisting of about 250 volumes. Gilbert of Eversholt, one of the early rectors of this parish, and also an architect of some considerable eminence, was employed in the restoration of St. Albans Abbey. The Duke of Bedford K.G. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is loam and gravel; subsoil, clay. The land is chiefly in pasture ; the chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans and peas. The area is 2,136 acres; rateable value, £3,240; the population in 1881 was 768.
Post Office.—-Richard Farmer Harris, receiver. Letters arrive through Woburn at 7.15 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.20 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Woburn
A School Board of 5 members was formed in October, 1885 ; the Rev. W. S. Baker, chairman & clerk to the board (pro tem.)
Board School (formerly National) (mixed), erected in 1844, for 140 children, & (infants) erected in 1862, for 60 children, now annexed ; average attendance, 80; Benjamin Wild, master
Baker Rev. William Samuel M.A. Rectory
Crouch Mrs. The Laurels, Rads end
Dexter Mrs. Church end
Gibbons Mrs. Rose cottage, Rads end
Green Miss, Berrystead
Smith Samuel, Rads end
Sparry Mrs. Church end
Sprague John, Froxfield end
Bailey William, blacksmith, Whit’s end
Beesley Wm. Green Man p.h. Church end
Bosworth John, farmer, Bury end
Colman John, farmer, Wake’s end
Ford Alfred, baker, Church end
Gazeley George, shoe maker, Rads end
Garratt Fanny (Mrs.), Red Lion p.h. & butcher
Gibbons Jsph. grazier, Vine cot. Rads end
Goodman Ann(Mrs.),farmer,Model frm
Gower William, sen. farmer, Bury end
Gower Wm. jun. farmer, Church end
Harris Ann (Mrs. ),shopkpr. Church end
Harris Arth. Wm. coach bldr. Church end
Hipwell George M. farm bailiff to the Duke of Bedford K.G. Eversholt house
Inns George, blacksmith, Whit’s end
Inns John, farmer, Rads end
Low James Robert, farmer, Water end
Makeham Ann (Mrs.), Falcon p.h. & grocer, Rads end
Mouldcn Jsph. drpr. & gro. Church end
Negus William, butcher, Church end
Pepper Jas. beer retailer, Church end
Pepper John, wheelwright, Whit’s end
Pepper Philip, hay & straw dealer &c. Bury end
Potts George, poultry dealer
Prisley James Walbancke, farmer, Town farm, Rads end
Rayner Green, Roebuck p.h. Hills end
Reddall Hy. clock maker, Froxfield end
Snoxell William, farmer, Rads end
Trice Henry, beer retailer, Rads end
Wild Benjamin, clerk to Eversholt charity trustees, Church end

Leave a comment for publication